CONSULTATION ON ADMISSIONS CRITERIA FOR ENTRY TO SHIRLEY HIGH SCHOOL IN SEPTEMBER 2021
- Shirley High School is the admissions authority and in carrying out this function complies with all the relevant provisions of the statutory codes of practice as they apply at any given time. The Governing Body of Shirley High School participates in the co-ordinated admission arrangements operated by Croydon Council. In addition, Shirley High School, in common with all other schools in Croydon, will admit students referred under the Hard to Place protocol via the Fair Access Panel, even if this means exceeding the admission number.
- Shirley High school is currently oversubscribed and has made little change to the admissions criteria during this time;
- Given the current OFSTED grading and the number of applicants to the school; leadership and governance of Shirley High school believe that some criteria is outdated and restricts the access of some local children to attend;
- Shirley High School now wishes to consult on the attached admissions arrangements (see below). To let us know your views, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 January 2020.
CONSULTATION ON ADMISSIONS CRITERIA FOR ENTRY TO SHIRLEY HIGH SCHOOL IN SEPTEMBER 2021:
The proposed admissions arrangement includes the following substantive changes:
- Academic Ability (Entrance Test): We propose the removal of this criterion so that no applicant is advantaged on the basis of their ability.
- Children of Staff at the School: We propose the amendment of this criterion so that priority may only be given to children of staff when the member of staff recruited holds a post for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage.
- Year 12: We propose the amendment of this criterion to state: All year 11 students are encouraged to apply for suitable courses within our 6th form and will be guided through an internal process which will include their suitability and academic criteria.
Governors of Shirley High School will consider all responses to this consultation before making a decision on whether to implement any changes. Please make sure you respond to this consultation if you have views by email email@example.com by 15 January 2020. I look forward to hearing from you.
Mike West (Chair of Governors)