Skip to content ↓

Bursary Information

Background Information

The Education Funding Agency (EFA) analyse data about Sixth Form students at Shirley High School who may need additional financial support to remain in education. They then award the school a sum of money to be used to support all the students who meet the criteria for an award. The school chooses how the money will be administered. The school has to ensure that money is available to support students who become eligible for bursary at a later date and also to cover discretionary awards.

Bursary Eligibility

A student is eligible to apply for a school bursary if one of the following conditions is met:

  • a) The student is entitled to free school meals (form enclosed in this pack)
  • b) One or both parents/carers receive income support
  • c) One or both parents receive job seekers allowance
  • d) One or both parents/carers are in receipt of Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • e) One or both parents/carers are in receipt of Universal Credit
  • f) The student has an EHCP f) support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

Students who wish to apply for a Bursary should bring in original documents that give evidence of income support, higher rate tax credits or universal credit, on the first day of term. These will be copied for files and the original returned. After the school year is completed, the copies will be shredded in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations. The student will be notified if an award has been made. Students who are entitled to free school meals in the Sixth Form do not need evidence; but the enclosed form must be completed and returned to the office. Students should check when their Free School Meals entitlement runs out.

If circumstances change and a student meets bursary criteria, evidence should be sent in as soon as possible.

Vulnerable Young People

Students who are in the care of the local authority, who are in receipt of income support or the higher rate disability living allowance are eligible for a £1200 award. This money is claimed by the school for eligible students and the EFA administers the award.

Eligible students should bring in the relevant documentary evidence on the first day of term and the claim will be actioned. Students who receive an award will need to give the Finance office details of their bank accounts as money is paid per half term in arrears by BACS transfer. This information will be shredded at the end of the academic year.

Discretionary Award

Students can claim a one off payment for support with educational trips or essential equipment for learning when there is sudden financial hardship. A letter requesting support and giving the financial reasons for the request must be sent in by parents or carers.